Thursday, June 29, 2006

Thinking Critically about Critical thinking

I find it interesting in much of the dialogues that I hear today that there are two worlds. Those that think, and those that don't. Sounds odd but it is true. There are many people that just live life without much thought at all. So in saying that I have heard much of in my life is ... So as a man thinks - So is he. This leads me to another thought... for people that tend not to think... are they nothing???
For those that do think ... they only seem to think in one way ... is that thinking? Or merely a ghost of genuine/virtual thought?

The people who are praised as such intelligent thinkers are applying citical thought to their world. How is that intelligent? I must admit that critical thought is valuable but its limited in its outcomes? There are only so many outcomes that come out of critical thinking processes. Its usually a win lose dynamic every time. One or the other.

So can critical thinking actually bring change? Is it really thinking? Thoughts?

11 comments:

Delbert said...

Unfortunetly you dont know me, but those that do know that I love to think. So the mere idea of thinking of thinking excites me quite a bit! Hopefully I'll wander back sometime soon with some thoughts to share...

Markimus said...

Look forward to hearing them...

Dan said...

Interesting indeed, but I'm not sure what you're getting at.

What would a world without critical thought look like?

Markimus said...

I am not suggesting that critical thought is not neccessary but not the only thought process that needs to be applied.

Dan said...

hmm . . .
So what are some other processes?
Creative thought perhaps?

Markimus said...

I will post on each of these processes at other times but here is a list of alternate processes
Linear - 1+1=2, 2+2=4, ‘The ideals,’ preconceptions
Critical – Why? What’s Wrong?
Lateral – global stepping
Parallel – colorful
Conceptual – beautiful mind

Anonymous said...

A key aspect that I believe is being left out here is what causes thinking. What stimulates thought?

Anonymous said...

The more educated we become, the more crippled our thinking becomes!

Markimus said...

I woudl suggest that education is not crippling but the way that we educate is what cripples.

Anonymous said...

Let me expand; by educating, we control ones thought process. Example: Language. By having a language, our thoughts are now somewhat restricted to the vocabulary that we know.

Dan said...

Language gives expression and shape to thoughts. Without such methods of expression, thoughts tend to devolve into large lumps of nothing. It's like writing music for instruments that don't exist. Without the expression, the thought itself doesn't have alot of meaning.