Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Jettison the Candy Canes


Just a few short weeks until Xmas. Every year I try a strategy with my boys. I get one of those mini-candy canes and I put it in a highly visible spot in our home. I tell the boys when thet see these candy canes that if they wait they will grow and Grow and Grow. My plan is that every few days I get a bigger candy cane and trade it while they are asleep so eventually they would have one of those massive candy canes. It would bring out this wonder and awe of a mysteriously growing candy cane and an element of perseverance.
Now of course all they can think about is that little one before their eyes. So far no matter how well we lay out the plan they jettison the plans for a taste of that little candy cane.

I have experienced this on several levels with many people. One thing that I know about myself is that I REALLY believe in people and I want to see them succeed. Often times I have sat down with a person and helped them discover some personal goals. In doing this I have watched some pretty amazing and inspiring plans laid out BUT in the midst of tough times people jettison themselves from those plans. Challenges come and panic sets in and quick decisions are made that throw everything out the window. So this leads me to a few questions

1. How many times in our lives do we jettison ourselves from a preferred future in a moment of difficult times?

2. When are there moments when we exchange a better future to ease that sense of panic or fear?

3. Why do we avoid fear?

4. Are we aware that in the middle of those moments of panic those are the moments where we are able to find solutions and breakthrough?


In your dark moment... don't panic ... don't jettison yourself on the eve of your breakthrough?

Just maybe ... just maybe tomorrow morning there will be a bigger candy cane.

7 comments:

JPostal said...

Excellent Post! I lik how you are teaching your kids some valuable lessons.

Personally I have been in a constant struggle with myself for a couple years. My struggle is this...should I risk everything and start a business and hope that it eventually gives me the life I want so badly, or should I continue to work as an employee in a company where I will max out and never have the lifestyle that I really want. So far I have choosen to be an employee because it is easier...less risky...more comfortable...whatever.

Markimus said...

J

You are in a significant shift in your journey. Here are a coupe things to think through.
Risking everything is an 'idealistic approach' You are simply trading one risk for another.
So in your deisre to build a business and go out on your own. Take your time and let your current job be the place where you are able to experiment from. Unless you have something that is going to replace your income don't step out until you knwo you can do that.
In the meantime work extra hours on your business ideas and let that grow. Don't look for extra income... look for ways to grow wealth... extra income will only devour itself... wealth with grow itself.
I could write an whole article on this but I will give you those tidbits for now.

Markimus said...

J - I should also mention that you are in for an exciting journey in the next few years.

JPostal said...

The approach you have mentioned is actually what I am currently doing. I have my home based business that I work on after hours, but during the day I work a 9-5 shadowing a couple successful business people. Thanks for the affirmation!

Jon

Paul & Wanda Moores said...

Hmmm,

Lately I feel like I've been left holding the little candy cane while all the other kids got the big one.

Thanks for a little encouragement, and introspection.

The Rest of Matt said...

Word to ma homie.

Hey Mark, is there a diference between dreams and stupid ideas?

What I mean is this: I have been guilty of believing strongly in what ended up being a bad idea from the start. Yet I held on.

For that season I was believing in something that should not have been believed in.

Yes, I learned from it, so I don't regret those experiences, but I guess my question is this: how do I know an idea is REALLY a bigger candy cane rather than a waste of time.

I get your point about it being more about the journey than the destination, and I agree. But I suppose the fact that I have been wrong before, mistaking greedy or selfish (even innocently) for God-given dreams, makes me settle for the smaller cane, because heck, at least it's something.

Re-reading this makes me look like a wuss, but that's what I'm thinking through.

Markimus said...

Matt

I think you make a very good point... and I thought that through as I posted this. Difficult times often times should be a way for us to discover those 'noble but stupid' dreams.