Tuesday, November 14, 2006

What is your Question



I hear many times in many conversations with people emerging, submerging, diverging, or other [insert your own] a common thread. I am not sure where it comes from but its a common thread. "I want to know my purpose" "Discover what your purpose is and you will live a fulfilled life." This seems a bit of a myth to me.

We spend a lot of time in our lives looking for 'OUR DESTINY.' BUT I want to encourage you Rather than look for your purpose look at all the questions that you have... about life, about God, about whatever. Sift through all of those questions and find one. I would think that even more important than discovering what your purpose is, is discovering what your question is. What is your big question? The question you always come back to regardless of the shifting landscape of circumstances in your life. When times are good... the question is there... when times are Bad the question is there.

What is your question? that might shed a light on your life journey more than you think. Your questions say much about you and how you see you world. There is no such thing as a wrong question.

Some might say "Who Am I?" for others it might be "Am I good enough?" For others it might be "What next?" or Why?

Take a moment to think it through and then if you dare... Post your question?

FYI - for all you who like to 'fix' others please refrain ... the purpose of this exercise is one of self discovery in a learning community.

15 comments:

The Rest of Matt said...

Mark, what's your e-mail address?

(That is not my question...)

Send me an e-mail at: reststopyouth@hotmail.com

Markimus said...

Wow Matt that's deep. Whats your email?

Anonymous said...

Great post Mark.

I always come back to 2 questions.

Am I good enough?
Can I trust God?

-heather

Anonymous said...

Thx heather... Good questions... Here is a thought... Do we tend to identify with others who have similar questions as Us? Are your 'bestest' friends ones who have the same question[s]...

This is the next step in my thought process.

Thx for Posting.

D"MAck said...

I've got to admit, this is not the easiest thing to do. I think "what next?" is my question.

Jeffrey said...

i have 4 i ask often:
Who are you God?
Am i accepted?
Whats Next?
Who am I becoming?


jeffrey.

Anonymous said...

WOW! Great post Mark. Hits right in the middle of where I am personally and what I've been thinking about. What things, people, thoughts, etc give your life "purpose"...if all those things are taken away, at the end of the day it's just...you and God. I would say no matter what season of life I'm in, I ask a few questions...
1. Am I accepted?
2. What's next? and
3. Why and What am I suppose to be learning?
p.s. It doesn't help that I TOTALLY overanalyze everything. lol.

Markimus said...

HMMM

So much to think through... When it really boils down to it I would echo a few of these questions...
1) Am I good enough?
2) What are you saying to me in all of this?
3) Is this some sort of Trick question?
4) What do you want me to do[be,etc]?
5) God ... where are you in this?

StephLambert said...

Cool post and comments. I've been out of the loop for awhile... anyway my question is:

Who are you really God. cos ur so totally complex I just don't get u?

and (sorry 2nd question)

What are you praying over my life Jesus?

Unknown said...

1. How do you want me to deal with my own immaturity?
2. Why don't I feel accepted?
3. What does living for today and not tomorrow really look like?

Markimus said...

Steph
Welcome Back... I hope London life is treating you well.

M. A. Hawkins said...

Mark,
Had me left thinking about this one too.
I've had a lot of questions lately, but the ones that probably stick out the most would be...
How complete or incomplete is the Bible? A BA in Theology and I still wonder this all the time.

How will my beliefs endure or change when thrown into an unknown situation?

Is God fair?


Ones that not many know I ask all the time in private conversations:
Is there alien life out there? Did the USA really land on the moon?

Paul & Wanda Moores said...

Why do I have to wait so long for EVERYTHING?

elliott5inbc said...

Am I good enough?

Is HE enough?

jeremy postal said...

Some of my favortite questions:
1. Have you checked the snow report yet?
2. Do you wanna go climbing?

Some of my favorite but a bit harder questions:
1. Why am I afraid?
2. God, where are you?
3. How does that correlate?
4. What if?